23 January, 2010

Progress on my Layout - RF&P's Doswell Junction

Here's a quick update on my progress... got the last of the benchwork (i.e. woodwork) done. Bought the last two sheets of 3/4" pink foam needed, but did not glue down (was just too tired with cutting wood and getting up early for class). Also, started taping the backdrop that is up, for muding & sanding (hopefully) next weekend. The next few bi-weekly allowances are already spoken for (Mike R is cleaning out his closet of rolling stock, Bernie's doing an awesome laser-cut Doswell Tower (a modification to an existing kit he produces - check out www.alkemscalemodels.com and click on the C&O Standard Cabin link) for me, AND Marty McG has a Digitrax Empire Builder that's been calling my name), so it may be a bit before I buy any more stuff, which is probably a good thing, as I have actually already have stuff, so I should work with what I have next. So, other goals in the coming weekends:
-prime the backdrop that's already up, with Kiehl's white - 2-3 coats
-finish getting the pink foam down
-continue marking track centerlines for layout plan
-roadbed, drill holes for blue point manual turnout switches (got six complete turnout controls), & track installs, until materials run out.
-cut leftover 15" by 8' strips of 1/8" hardboard in half, to make 7.5" fascia board.
-install fascia board, where layout contours make possible.
-plan and cut holes for throttle plug-ins (hope to make only three cuts), Throttle Pockets, staging switch pulls, Car Card & Waybill Boxes, and small shelves, or hooks for clipboards.
-Prime & Paint Fascia (Color still TBD - black or a forest green are leaders)
-wire/solder/connect track to power source, other than with Atlas wired Rail Joiners (used for testing).

I hope to get down there tomorrow and take some pixes of what is done. I am sure I am forgetting things, but that is a nice list to work on between now and spring... when the 'Honey-Do' outdoor list takes priority over the free time .

4 comments:

Fielding said...

I am amazed! My mother was born in the house at the junction and my grandfather, Daniel Campbell, built the general store that is now known as Squash a Penny Junction. I am new at model railroading and am considering doing some work on this site. Let me know what you have done and are doing there.

The Train Fanatic said...

You can check out my other postings here for the latest pixes AND friend me thru Google, so we can correspond. If you're in the area (Fredericksburg), you are welcome to stop by and visit.

Fielding said...

Thanks for the response. I lived in Fredericksburg for 30 years but now am retired and in North Wales, PA. I get back to the area occasionally. Why did you focus on Doswell? Is it possible to locate old steam HO RF&P engines? I looked at your plan and thought it was great, but if I did it I would focus on the buildings and the road that drops off on the east side of the RF&P tracks so I would need some elevation adjustments.

The Train Fanatic said...

Sorry for the late response. I focused on Doswell & the rail juction, because of the continuous action that went on there. It has some great modeling potential.
As for RF&P steam, there's some around, from Bachmann Spectrum, Rivarossi, and early Diesel from Athearn Genesis and Atlas (Alco S-2 switchers).
Keep me aprised of your decision and progress.