21 June, 2009

Operation! My First Time!



Yesterday, I got the fun opportunity to operate a model railroad (my first time!) on Keith Stillman's Easton & Potomac Railroad. It's a 1925 proto-freelance layout, based on real locations; it's point-to-point, double deck, with a neat helix in the center. Check out http://www.easton-and-potomac.com/ to check it out, or the above title link, to see pixes of the op session and other photos of the layout, etc.


I was given the assignment of Asstant Yardmaster at Whitehall, and working with veteran operator Wayland, we worked our tails off for a good three hours during the op session, assembling trains, breaking down arrivals, and prepping passenger manifests for departure. I met some neat guys and Keith and his wife, Marlene, were most-gracious hosts. If you're ever in the Richmond area, you ought to get in touch with Keith and sign up for an op-session!











After a brief rest, I started getting my next benchwork segment started. I started to clean out the things that don't need to be there and started cutting the wood for a standard, 8' x 30" box grid section. It will be connected to the existing segment. My goal is to get the benchwork done, then revise/complete the track plan, then start my track-work... I hope to have at least a segment of mainline running by the time I go back to grad school, in late August for the first of two remaining classes. Wish me luck!

4 comments:

Bernie said...

Congrats on your first op session. So are you hooked?

Train Fanatic said...

Thanks. Very much hooked. Hope to get some small op sessions for my up & coming layout by end of year... HELP?

Bernie said...

What kind of help do you need or want?

Train Fanatic said...

Figuring out what the final track plan will be... right now, the benchwork will be completely done by the weekend. It'll be time to put some track down soon...